Google
 

Monday, October 15, 2007

Real Estate Mastery weekend

A lot of things learned over the course of the weekend and before I get to writing that down I think I'll just talk about how I felt about the whole thing.

1) The speaker, Steve Molnar, was extremely knowledgeable on the matter. The impression he put forth was that he was an introvert who obsessively spent most of his time studying how to maximize profits in the real estate market. Anytime people tried to contradict him he always had a knowledge filled come back and so far with one exception, all the knowledge he put forth has been verified by my mother, who is a builder (yes, my mother is a builder, how cool is that?)
2) There is enough information from UPW and the Real Estate Mastery for me to get started without needing to go to any other seminar in the near future.

3) The "consultation session": I use the term extremely loosely because essentially the session was a sales pitch session where they tried to sell me their services. When I refused, the sales man become very cold and distant and gave me half-hearted, dismissive answers or answers that tried to point me in the direction of buying their services. Overall I was interested in getting involved with them a few months down the road however his poor presentation means that I am less likely to do so and should I find a better real estate mastery educator with better staff I will immediately move over to them without hesitation. Sales truly is for a certain type of person I guess..........................

Over to the individual bits and pieces of information that I picked up. I wrote a lot of notes and I will skim through them and pick up a point or two from each page of notes:
1)People learn very well from stories and stories are a great way to convey many facts in an easy way.
2) Knowledge without action is dead.
3) As human beings we only have 2 innate fears: 1) Fear of loud noises 2)Fear of falling backwards. The rest are all programmed into us.
4) Model excellence.
5) I am 3 times more likely to succeed because I am an immigrant. Zig Ziglar has similar ideas regarding America and has many interesting stories to illustrate this.
6) The tools you use to acquire wealth and/or become financially free should be chosen on the basis of your goals and not the other way around i.e. You should decide on your end result first and then search for tools, knowledge and skills to get to your goal.
7)Two tier marketing: There are prices for locals and prices, usually higher, for foreigners (I can tell you heaps of stories about this from Kenya)
8) When you enter a field for the first time majority of the knowledge neccesary you don't know that you don't know as opposed to knowing that you know it and/or knowing that you don't know it.
9) Make sure you act, even though I fail, historically property has always risen over the medium and long term and so based on that one can make a comfortable (well as comfortable as it gets really in this uncertain world) assumption that eventually the mistake will turn a profit.
10) I should work my money hard.
11) I should become a sponge that absorbs information on my chosen goals from any and everywhere. Sponges expand as people. Develop a life long thirst for knowledge.
12) I should strive for numerous passive sources of income as opposed to a single active source of income a.k.a. a JOB (Just Over Broke)

13) Don't let ego get in the way of learning. Put the goal first and the ego far behind.
14) Weed out any negative beliefs you have about money before or while pursuing it as money (like fame and pressure) are magnifiers of the human experience exposing all your beauty and ugliness (oddly enough the mixture of poetic metaphor and money talk makes me very uncomfortable and so I think I may have some area to apply this idea)
15) Acquire an abundance mentality and become a striker; always putting yourself out there in pursuit of the goal not a defender; always defending the little you have.
16) Tip for life: When conversing with yourself, in ALL situations ask yourself open and postive questions: How can I improve this? How can I serve? How can I learn and grow from this? How can I enjoy this etc etc. This is opposed to making statements that are usually negative e.g. "It won't work!", "That's stupid", "I can't because of x,yz...." etc etc. I must say that that tip alone is one of the reasons I am where I am in life and one of the main things things I have gathered that successful people have in common.
17) 2 types of skeptics: 1) Open-minded skeptic 2)Close-minded skeptics. Don't be close minded but be open and always asking positive and open questions (i.e. a positive skeptic)
18) Small business owners have great decision making abilities because they constantly have to make decisions otherwise their business will go bust.
19) Tip for life: There is a difference between urgent and important. Health, financial freedom and happiness are always important but not always urgent. Find or innovate ways to make the constant and ever-expanding pursuit of these things as urgent as it is important.
20) Financial tip: Three cornerstones for financial freedom: 1)Saving 2)Working (meaning working to make the money work for you) 3) Investing. Push these three cornerstones to a place of urgency.

21) Tip for life: Don't have too many barriers/rules that prevent you from being happy and successful, make these things easy for yourself.
22) Avoid the tall poppy syndrome that's an important part of Aussie culture but strive towards an egalitarian society where people in all sorts of occupations are equals.
23) Trigger point: This is the point at which you have learned enough to act. Once you get there...ACT! (Complex,no?lol)
24)Success = KNOWLEDGE APPLIED IN THE FORM OF ACTION.
25) Quote from Dick Smith: "It doesn't matter if you have a 10 bedroom house, you only sleep in one bed at a time."
26) Systemize your business as soon as you can so that you can move on to the next challenge.
27)Always calculate the opportunity cost of not figuring out the quickest and safest and most enjoyable way to reach your goal.
28)Look for Proffesional and Sophisticated Investors, they have access to a world and ventures that I currently have no access to.

29) Decide on your ideal lifestyle and the money required and work backwards from there.
30) Most people Earn THEN Pay Tax AND THEN spend. However business people earn THEN spend AND THEN pay tax. Spend pre-tax dollars, not post-tax dollars.
31)Take MASSIVE and IMMEDIATE ACTION after the seminar (which is what I am doing now).
32) Renting your home without owning property IS DUMB!
33) When you decide there is no other choice and burn all bridges you will make your dreams happen.
34) Different result +Different psychology and different actions.
35) 2 types of debt: i) Good debt ii)Bad debt, idea put forth by Robert Kiyosaki.
36) This one stuck with me immediately. Tip for life: There are two types of people who give you information and/or advice that you accept: 1) People who have good intentions for you 2) People who have the best information. Great way to think when your friends, family and the people around you try to kill your dreams.
37) As part of being an open skeptic, you may also chose to be a contrarian, continually questioning what the masses are doing.
38) Wealth in financial terms can be described as a continuous and endless stream of disposable income.
39) When you take on a principle and interest loan, you usually end up paying back x3 of the loan. Interesting understanding for me going into the property market.
40) Make sure you understand the rules of the important games in your life, including financial, most people don't.
NB: I was curious as to why there aren't any high school courses on becoming financially free modelling people who are, to me it seems infinitely more helpful than some of the mathematics and physics concepts we learned like vectors (who in our class has intentions of going to the moon?)
41)